Welcome to the Youth to Work young professionals information and application page. The program seeks to recruit 40 (20 women and 20 men) young and enthusiastic professionals ages 21-30 looking for an opportunity to learn new business and consultancy skills and apply them in a real business environment, and contribute to the wider community.
Information and links to the application form are found at the bottom of this page, but please ensure you read all information here thoroughly before applying.
What is Youth to Work?
The Youth to Work programme is organised by Standard Chartered and Challenges Worldwide, and is part of the Standard Chartered Futuremakers initiative. The program will support 40 young professionals (20 women and 20 men) to become catalysts for positive change in business and community across Kampala.
The programme will provide key accredited business, consultancy and employability skills to 40 young professionals who will support 40 Small and Growing Businesses (SGBs) to prepare them to take on investment to grow their businesses and impact. In addition, young people will be equipped with key skills for employment and/or entrepreneurship that will be used to support the wider ecosystem and other young people in their communities.
The program offers young professionals the opportunity to play a key role in supporting the enterprises. Each young professional will undertake a 3 month consultancy placement in a SGB, where they will:
- Conduct an assessment of the enterprise’s strengths and areas for development
- Develop an action plan to help the enterprise to improve and prepare for investment and growth
- Work closely with the leadership team to deliver the action plan
- Deliver network strengthening activities which improve the SGBs partnerships, communication and opportunities
- Deliver key employment readiness workshops to university students across Kampala
The Youth to Work program will provide all young professionals with:
- A free comprehensive 1- 2 week training program in professional consulting and business improvement skills, using Chartered Management Institute learning modules
- Access to best-practice resources to guide you on placement
- Ongoing training, mentoring and support from Challenges during your enterprise placement
- Unprecedented opportunity to gain valuable insight into all areas of a enterprise and work alongside their senior management team to develop an action plan
- An opportunity to develop your current skill set with the view to improving your employability after the programme
- The opportunity to complete an internationally-recognised Chartered Management Institute qualification Level 5 professional qualification to accredit your new skills after successful completion of the program,.
- A monthly stipend to cover expenses related to your placement.
The following eligibility criteria applies to all young professionals seeking to participate on the program.
If you do not fit the criteria below, your application will be unsuccessful:
- Be between 21 to 30 years of age
- Have a understanding of business and finance for business, demonstrated through previous work experience and/or hold a relevant university degree
- Relevant work experience including previous internship, voluntary work etc.
- Good communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Interest in small business development, enterprises and entrepreneurship
- Ability to travel to training and placement
- Ability to commit to a 3 month full time placement (November 2019 – January 2020) and 1-2 weeks training
- Must be fluent in both English and Luganda. Swahili is an advantage
- Based in Kampala
Applications are selected on a competitive basis, and should you meet the criteria you will be invited for a selection day that will be communicated to you.
During the selection day you will be assessed under the following Youth to Work dimensions:
- Effective communication
- Critical thinking
- Understanding the bigger picture
- Planning and managing work
- Managing relationships
If selected, you will be expected to:
- Travel to and from the business placement location as well as the training place
- Commit 100% of your time during the placement.
- You will be held to a code of conduct throughout the program placement, which will be made available to you at the selection day.
The placement is not a paid position, although a small stipend is offered to help with travel costs during the 3 month placement.
How to apply:
There are two ways of applying:
- Using the link above, complete the online form; or
- Download and complete the form and return it to: email@example.com by 6 pm on 15th September 2019.
Please ensure that before filling this form, you have thoroughly read the application information. Answer all questions sincerely and to the best of your knowledge, incomplete forms will not be considered. For both, please attach your CV (maximum 2 pages) and any relevant academic documents to this application when submitting.
Applications will close 6 pm on the 15th September 2019.