Welcome to the Youth to Work enterprise information and application page. Thank you for your interest in participating in the Standard Chartered Youth to Work programme. Please ensure that you have reviewed all of the enterprise information below before you apply.
This page outlines the application information for the Youth to Work programme organized by the Challenges Worldwide, Challenges Uganda and is part of the Standard Chartered Future Makers initiative.
The program focuses on developing young people to become work-ready and to help improve the efficiency, development and investment readiness of 40 enterprises through structured and tailored business development services.
The main goals of the programme are to prepare young people to become work ready and improve employability, but to also support the development of enterprises for investment readiness and potential job creation.
What is Youth to Work all about?
- Enterprises partner and receive on-site business development and investment readiness support co-created and delivered by the Junior Associates over 3 months
- Junior Associates receive accredited business management training from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
- Enterprises are supported as they grow their peer-networks and in strengthening their ecosystem
- Enhancing the skills of enterprise staff and training of other young people
- Access to senior mentors from Uganda and the UK to provide expert input
- Support to business leaders to enable them to identify personal barriers and strengths to growing their company and maintain momentum and motivation to improve
What will the Junior Associate do in the enterprise?
Conduct enterprise analysis – Junior Associates will use an enterprise workbook with internal and external environment analysis tools. These will be to evaluate key enterprise areas such as leadership, the organisation and staff, the product/service, sales and marketing, legal and IT, , financial management, organisation risk profile and investment readiness. This will be done with an aim of understanding the business overall performance and investment readiness within its operating environment.
Make recommendations – Basing on the results from the analysis, the Junior Associates will make recommendations to the enterprise to capitalise on its strengths and curb the identified weaknesses in with an aim to optimise performance and get closer to investment readiness.
Implement recommendations – the Junior Associates co-create and implement the short-term recommendations in collaboration with the key staff within the enterprise.
What value will the Junior Associates add?
By the end of the program, each participating company will have
- a clear digital record of their financial and operational performance and their progress in organizational development
- a comprehensive data room
- a full suite of investment documentation
- better connectivity between up and down stream relationships within the business.
This will mean that the company will be in an improved position to present itself effectively to investors and to satisfy any diligence process included in a future transaction, which we define as improved “investment readiness”
How do I know that I am eligible?
- You need to be in business for at least three years
- You must have a minimum annual turnover of UGX 100,000,000
- You must be supportive of young people
- You must be able to evidence financial records
- You must have at least 5 employees
- You must be located within Kampala
All information provided by your enterprise to Challenges Worldwide will be treated as confidential and will be used solely for the purpose of offering support to your enterprise unless you agree otherwise in writing. All information is treated according to UK Data Protection Law. This information may be used to offer further support options through Challenges Group.