The Challenges Group is a family of social enterprises that trade and operate globally. Each of its member organisations is committed to respecting your privacy and protecting your personal data.
This privacy notice informs you about the data processing practices carried out by The Challenges Group and also tells you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you.
If you have any requests concerning your personal information or any queries with regard to our practices, please contact our staff via our email: email@example.com or call us on +44 (0) 1315641588.
Purpose of this Privacy Notice:
This privacy notice aims to give you information on how The Challenges Group collects and processes your personal data, including any data you may provide us from time to time.
It is important that you read this privacy notice together with any other privacy notice or fair processing notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal data about you so that you are fully aware of how and why we are using your data. This privacy notice supplements the other notices and is not intended to override them.
By visiting our website or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise, you are acknowledging that you have read this privacy notice.
Who we are and the information we collect
We are The Challenges Group, a family of social enterprises that trade and operate globally (“we”, “our”, and “us”.). Our UK offices are 5-7 Montgomery Street Lane, Edinburgh, EH75JT. We are a data controller of any personal data that you provide us.
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
Depending on how you interact with us, we may collect, use, store and transfer the following kinds of personal data about you:
- Identity Data: includes first name, last name, title, date of birth and national insurance number, job title and organisation.
- Contact Data: includes address, email address and telephone numbers (including referee’s details).
- Health Data: includes details of any special needs/requirements.
- Technical Data: includes internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our website.
- Usage Data: includes information about how you use our website (in particular the pages users visit most often) and interact with us.
In addition to the above, we collect information automatically about your visit to our website. We gather general information about the use of our website, in particular, the pages users visit most often. We may also track popular links on emails originating from us. We may use this information to personalise the way our website is used to improve the service we provide to users. Wherever possible, we use aggregated or anonymous information which does not identify individuals.
We collect sensitive personal data/special categories of personal data (including details of your special needs or requirements (if any)). We will take extra care when processing this personal data.
- Use of personal information
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you;
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests;
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation; and
- Where you have consented to us processing your personal information (for marketing purposes).
2. Your information
- Collecting your information
We collect personal information that you give us: (i) when signing up for our email updates; (ii) when you provide information to us as a stakeholder via email; and (iii) filling in forms on our website including the ‘contact us’ form.
- How we use your data
We use your data to:
(i) Respond to any queries that you raise with us
(ii) Understand how we can improve our services and information
(iii) Send you communications that may be of interest to you, either electronically or otherwise
It is your choice whether you receive information such as marketing from us. If you indicated that you are interested in receiving regular information about The Challenges Group’s activities, we will send you communications electronically. We will not contact you for marketing purposes unless you have given your prior consent. If, at any time, you no longer wish to receive this information, please send a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, all of our email marketing correspondence gives you the option to opt-out of receiving further marketing emails. Please note that you will still receive emails directly related to an enquiry you have submitted via our contact form.
- Data Security
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your data to those employees, agents, contractors and third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
- Sharing information
The information you provide to us will be treated as confidential and will be processed only by our employees. We may disclose your personal data to other third parties who act for us for the purposes set out in his notice including external assessors and programme partners (where necessary).
- Transfers outside the EU
The information that we collect from you may be processed at a destination outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). We will take steps necessary in accordance with applicable data protection legislation to ensure that your information is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice, in particular ensuring that appropriate technical and organisational safeguards are in place for processing.
- Your rights
You have the right at any time to:
- Request access to your personal data – commonly known as a “data subject access request”. This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it
- Request correction of your personal data – if the information that we hold is incomplete or inaccurate.
- Request erasure of your personal data – to ask us to delete or remove data.
- Object to processing of your personal data – to ask us to stop processing your data.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to another party.
- Withdraw your consent to the processing of personal information at any time.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights above, please contact us via email@example.com
You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), the UK supervisory body for data protection issues (www.ico.org) in relation to our use of your personal information.
- Data Retention
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
We may change this privacy notice from time to time. Any significant changes will be detailed on our website/s or we will make contact with you directly.
Last updated December 2019.